As the world goes digital, we are a lot more vulnerable to theft of personal information. It is fairly easy to hack into somebody’s PC or Facebook profile to have all the access to their data and important stuff. Privacy in fact has become one of the most talked about issues in the global tech events. Some of the OS’s such as Android and Windows have commonly been struck by privacy issues much more than Apple or say WP. However, before laying the blame on the companies, here are simple ten things that you must keep in mind to save your privacy. Here are our 10 simple steps to protect your privacy.
1) Password Protect: It is the most basic and first thing you must do. Set up strong enough passwords using alphanumeric characters for all your devices as well as online profiles.
2) Set up Google Alerts: Google is basically internet, so if someone has to stalk you or check info about you chances are he will do it first on Google. So simple setup alerts by visiting this page so that you know when anyone searches for you on Google.
3) Make Sure To Sign Out: We sometimes may log into our profiles from a system other than ours. Make sure you sign out of every place, especially Google to prevent any theft of data. Also, it is advisable not to use the Remember me option some of the websites provide.
4) Never Give out your Email / Phone Number: A lot of sketchy people may ask for your E-Mail ID or Phone number. Unless you know the person personally never give this info out. Never even post it online to any of the social media networks. We also suggest you to create a simple ID for registering yourself on various sites and for newsletters rather than using your personal E-Mail.
5) Encrypt Your System: Encrypting your system or smart phone is one of the most important steps to protect your privacy. Use programs like FIlevault on Mac or Bitlocker on Windows to encrypt your system.
6) Turn on 2 Step Authentication On Google: This is one of the best ways to protect your privacy. Google is the hub of all your data online, and enabling two step authentication means that every time someone even guesses the password of your Gmail right, he will have to enter in a unique six digit code which would be sent to your phone number registered. A very handy step to protecting your privacy.
7) Use Cash To Pay Bills Often: Credit card info can be pose a serious threat to your account and its security. For small purchases, prefer paying by cash and not credit card. This will prevent the sales being tracked back to you.
8) Change all your Facebook Settings to Friends Only: It is extremely important to be wary how much of your profile is visible to people who are not your friends on facebook. It makes for easy theft of identity if you do not get the privacy right. To keep yourself safe, make sure to change all the settings to Friends only.
9) Use Private Browsing: Browsing history can be another way to trace back your data. To prevent this use the option of private browsing or simply clear the cache or history on your device.
10) Use IP Masker: The best way to stay safe online is to use IP masker which will never show your real IP. A simple solution is by visiting hidemyass.com.
So we hope these 10 steps to protect your privacy would help you in safer life online. If you have more suggestions do write them in the section below or tweet in to us at @Blogtechnika or @Techverarp.