It is needless to say, desktop PCs are a thing of past and many of us have already accepted that the portable the computing systems, the better and comfortable it is. However, if you’re out in the market looking to buy a mobile computing device, a laptop for example, then there is a lot of confusion already. The latest breed of laptops known as 2-in-1 laptops further adds up to the confusion and chaos of first-time laptop buyers.
2-in-Laptops and its Varieties
2-in-1 laptops are the ones that give you both, the comfort of having a physical keyboard on your laptop, and the ease of using it as a tablet when needed. To put it in simple words, these laptops can be utilized as a standalone tablet (useful while reading, social networking or browsing sites), or like a traditional laptop with a physical keyboard (crucial to long type texts like E-mails or documents).
There are currently 2 types of 2-in-1 Laptops available
As you can see in the image above, unlike its detachable counterpart, the keyboard on the convertible ones doesn’t get detached with the laptop screen. Rather it could be folded and slid on the back of the screen. This types of 2-in-1 laptops are suitable to consume lots of multimedia and are not preferable if you plan to use your laptop as a tablet PC too occasionally.
It could be very evident and understandable by now that the detachable laptops are the ones in which you could part with the large keyboard on your laptop and use it as a standalone tablet while browsing websites or reading activities. Though little fragile, these types of 2-in-1 laptops are best suited for people who travel a lot and do not want to carry both, a laptop and a tablet.
Pros & Cons of 2-in-1 Laptops
There is a lot of debate out there discussing whether one should go for a 2-in-1 laptop instead of 2 separate devices or take the traditional route. Here we are jotting down few of these widely known plus and minuses of the same:
- Portability and ease of carrying
- Cost effective – It’s definitely cheaper to buy single 2-in-1 laptop instead of two separate gadgets
- Bigger tablet screen – You get a tablet with a screen size bigger that the regular standalone tablets. However, this could be a disadvantage for some.
- Faster processing
- Less storage: It’s a possibility that these 2-in-1 laptops would generally have lesser storage space than it’s counterpart
- Uncomfortable keyboards: Though not always, the possibility of not having a keyboard as comfortable as the ones in regular laptops cannot be ruled out.
- Screen angle positioning: There could be limitations on the number of angles the screen can be positioned when it is coupled with a keyboard
- Fragile – Most of the 2-in-1s are more sensitive than the regular laptops.
Further reading: Pros & Cons of 2-in-1 Laptops
Which one is best for you? Things to consider
Every choice comes with its advantages and disadvantages, and you have got them here as well. We believe choosing between the regular laptops and the modern 2-in-1 types are very subjective and it completely depends on your needs, usage, etc.
Here are few points you should check out for that could help you in deciding between these types of laptop.
- Screen size: Though the keyboard can be removed or hidden on the back, there is hardly anything you could do about the screen size. So it seldom happens that the screen size of such laptops feels too big to use as a tablet or slightly smaller for what you’d need for a laptop. It’s critical to balance between the two.
- Storage requirement: As mentioned earlier, there are chances that you might want more storage space than what is generally available in these laptops.
- Detachable v/s Convertible: This is another thing you should be very careful about. Since we have already mentioned which ones are best for whom, you could easily figure this out too.
We hope this post helps you understand the basics of 2-in-1 laptops, its advantages, and disadvantages; whether you should buy this new breed of laptops or stick with the traditional ones. If you are in India, you could also check out few of the available 2-in-1 laptop options on Flipkart and Amazon.