After hearing lots of buzz about Cydia, I finally decided to jailbreak my iPhone 4 . A friend of mine asked if it was actually worth it to jailbreak and my answer was a loud “YES!!!”
Sure, at times it can be a bit of a pain if you’re worried about updating your iOS every time Apple releases an update but the folks over at Dev-Team are usually very good about releasing jailbreak updates extremely quickly in response to any major iOS updates.
Currently, the easiest and fastest way to jailbreak your iPhone 4 running on iOS 4.3.3 is by logging on to www.jailbreakme.com via safari and then just like we download and install a free application from the App Store we can download Cydia and the phone is jailbroken in minutes.
Some people may feel intimidated by the thought of jailbreaking their iPhone but it seriously couldn’t be simpler.
Let’s get to the fun stuff. The reasons why it’s worth jailbreaking your iPhone, the must have apps, tweaks you can’t even imagine of getting through the App Store.
Here are 5 useful Cydia apps for your iPhone you should check right now:
1) CyDelete – CyDelete is another simple, free app but one that adds a cool, usable function. It permits you to delete Cydia applications right from your springboard just like your App Store applications. Without CyDelete installed you would normally go into Cydia to modify as in remove or reinstall your apps but with CyDelete makes it much easier to remove any unwanted applications installed on your phone.
2) SBsettings – The mother of all tweaks and applications on the iPhone. SBsettings is the best and the easiest way to perform any kind of action i.e. reboot, respring, toggling on and off the edge, wifi, airplane mode and Bluetooth. It has various themes to make it look classier. Though I have written it as number 2 it should be the first thing that should be installed on your jailbroken iphone. It definitely is a time saver.
3) Live Clock – This is a cool, simple app that has only one purpose, it turns your native clock into a live clock. Instead of showing 11:30 live clock shows the current time, including an animated second’s hand on your clock. There’s not a lot of functionality to this and sure you can look up at the top of your phone and see the time but it’s still a very cool app and, if nothing else you might use it to break the ice.
4) iBlacklist – iBlacklist is the best call and sms blocker available for the iPhone. It enables you to select from who you want to receive calls and hide messages. It also removes the sms popup preview protecting your privacy. It also lets you block private/unknown numbers as well as keep an ongoing blacklist(s) of members you’d like to block and what action to take for each blocked number.
5) Infinifolders – You know how iOS was so sweet and gave us the ability to add folders for our apps. Well, for some unknown reason, they limited that ability to twelve apps in each folder. Infinifolders does exactly what it sounds like, it disables that limit and allows you to put infinite apps in your folders. It even gives you the option to style what your scrollbar will look like once you’ve started adding more apps.
So these are 5 useful apps on Cydia. To get these apps all you need to do is open the Cydia application and search these application using the search box.
Also check our guide to install xSellize repository from Cydia.
This is a guest post by Achint Maniar. He is a professional DJ and he loves all things related to music. He is a wonderful guitar player and very good in digital remixing.