With the announcement of Nexus S and Gingerbread platform, Google launched Android 2.3 SDK for developers. You can download the SDK from Android Developers site.
The new SDK includes many advanced technologies such as SIP-based VOIP, Near Field Communications (NFC), Gyroscope and other sensors, Multiple cameras support, Mixable audio effects, Download manager, StrictMode, UI Framework, Extra Large Screens, Graphics, Location, Native access to Activity lifecycle, windows, Dalvik Runtime etc.
Here are the user interface features added to the new developer kit.
- Support for over scroll
- Support for touch filtering
- Improved event management
- Improved motion events
- Text selection controls
- Activity controls
- Notification text and icon styles
Here are the few highlights of the Android 2.3 Platform:
- UI refinements for simplicity and speed
- Faster, more intuitive text input
- One-touch word selection and copy/paste
- Improved power management
- Control over applications
- Enhanced for gaming
- New ways of communicating, organizing (Internet calling, Near-field communications, Downloads management, access multiple Camera).