When Google merged text messages with Hangouts, it created a lot of problems for consumers. You ended up sending text messages to someone whom you only intended to share free IM via Hangouts and spending money which you had absolutely zero intentions of. But given that the most default SMS apps are pretty trashy, it made sense that everyone went ahead with Hangouts only.
However, to ease the pain, Google has now developed a brand new Messenger application which is a standalone Text Messages app, so that users can now enjoy material design and still keep their IM and text messages in different places. The application is really simple and has all that you would expect from a material design application, including bring contrast colors and butter smooth UX. You have the standard set of features in the application, including threading as well as full emoji support, ability to block people from sending you those annoying text messages.
Some of the features of the application are as follows:
- Faster sharing: Select or take pictures and videos directly from the app and share easily. You can even send audio messages to your contacts.
- Easy search: Search through contacts and conversation threads to find exactly what you are looking for.
- Purposeful design: New, fluid, material design that is intuitive and delightful.
- More control: Ability to block SMS senders. No interruptions when you don’t want them!
- More features: audio messages, emoji support ????, colored text threads, message archiving and more.