Could it be the companies preparing themselves for the iOS 8 release later in the day? It may look like it as Whatsapp has brought a pretty massive update to Whatsapp for iOS in the recent hours. The update is perhaps one of the most feature filled updates that we have seen in the recent past from Whatsapp. It adds up interesting features such ability to archive chats a bit like E-Mail or even send captions with pictures.
You can also now edit a video and send only a clip of what you shot using the iPhone. For those using the iPhone 5s, you can now upload and send those slo mo, 120 FPS videos to your friends too via Whatsapp. These features are all available in an OTA update that would be hitting your device if you have auto download for updates on. If not, you can go to the app store and find the update. The latest version of Whatsapp with the update included is 2.11.9.
All the features as per the release notes are as follows:
– Added ability to archive chats and groups
– Add captions to photos and videos
– Added fast camera access button for capturing and sending photos
– You can now share slow-motion videos (iPhone 5s only)
– You can now trim videos before sharing them
– Share Location: add support for satellite and hybrid map views when sharing a location
– Share Location: drop and drag pin lets you share a precise location
– New media auto-download preferences: Settings > Chat Settings > Media Auto-Download
– New Wallpapers: Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Wallpapers > Wallpaper Library
– New Notification tones: Settings > Notifications
– You can now attach screenshots when reporting problems