With the inception of Ice Cream Sandwich, many Android geeks want to try it to see its awesomeness. But there are lots of technical issues that prevent users to port ICS to Android devices. Previously Arpit wrote a nice article on porting ICS on Nexus S rooted. But that method apply only on Nexus S. What about the most famous Galaxy S device?
Here i bring a reason to rejoice for the Galaxy S I9000 users in India. Developers at xda forum haven’t specifically developed any ICS based Custom Rom for Indian devices. Latest update that the Indian Galaxy S has had so far is the India or Asia specific version dubbed as the “DDJV9 2.3.3” Gingerbread via Kies.
OneCosmic’s ICS 4.0.3 on your Galaxy S I9000
Disclaimer: Please note that these instructions are not recommended for basic users (first timers) and are only for advanced users having prior experience of flashing. Also, we should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in any manner after following these instructions.
Try at your own risk.
1. You need to be on Gingerbread ROM 2.3.3 stock firmware.
2. Make sure that your device is completely charged. This is necessary for getting better battery backup on newly installed ICS ROM,a USB cable,a computer and adequate time.
3. Make sure that you have samsung kies installed in your computer for the USB Drivers.
Flashing a Custom ROM on Galaxy S involves two basic steps:
1. Flashing a custom kernel having Clockworkmod recovery preinstalled.
2. Flashing the Onecosmic’s RC3.1 ROM via the clockworkmod recovery.
WARNING: Follow the following tutorial step by step or else you may brick your phone.
STEP 1: Flashing Custom Kernel via Odin.
We need to flash a custom kernel on galaxy s because the 2.3.3 Gingerbread has <3e> recovery preinstalled which blocks flashing of Custom ROMs and it looks like this….
So we would be flashing a custom kernel having the older <2e> recovery which came with the Froyo and the Eclair versions of the phone, but it would be a custom <2e> based recovery called “CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY”
The Kernel we need to flash is “Speedmod kernel”.
1. Download file 1: ODIN 1.85 (Extract the files into a temporary folder, for example C:\Temp\Odin\)
2. Download file 2: Speedmod Kernel (place this file into the same directory as Odin)
- Power off your phone.
- Wait for the phone to completely shut down (it takes about 30 seconds).
- Press and hold Volume-Down + Home + Power at the same time.
- The phone should boot into Download Mode with the words “do not turn off target!!!!”
- Quit/Exit Kies on your pc.
- From the directory where you extracted the files, run Odin3 v1.85.exe.
- Now plug in your phone to the USB port of your PC. If you have Kies previously installed, you should see one of the ID:COM boxes turn yellow.
- In PDA select the “speedmod-kernel-K16-11-Odin.tar” file you extracted.
Leave other things Default:
- PHONE, CSC, PIT should be blank
- Re-partition should be un-ticked
You should see something like this:
- Click on the “START” button to start the firmware upgrade. Do not disconnect your phone or PC at this point.
- After the upgrade finishes, your phone should reboot.
IF ERROR: In case Odin does not start flashing and shows an error, your phone might go into the “download error” mode:
DON’T PANIC. This happens sometimes when there is a USB connection error.
First disconnect the USB cable from your phone. Next shutdown your phone, by either: Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. The phone will power off. If it does not, just take out the battery and put it back in.
Close Odin and follow the procedure again from the beginning…..
NOW CHECK THE KERNEL VERSION FROM PHONE SETTINGS !!!
STEP 2: Installing Onecosmic’s ROM via Clockworkmod Recovery.
Once we are done with kernel flashing we will have <2e> custom recovery i.e. the Clockworkmod Recovery which could be booted into.
· Download File: Onecosmic ICS RC3.1(Place this zip file in the internal sd card of your phone as it is)
· Long press power button of your galaxy s, you will see this menu. press “Reboot”.
· Now on pressing “Recovery” you will enter into Clockworkmod Recovery.
NOTE: In the recovery menu touchscreen won’t work .Use volume buttons to navigate up and down the menu and power button to select any particular option.
· Now navigate to “wipe data/factory reset” and select it. Then select “yes” to confirm.
· After the Data Wipe is completed, select “wipe cache partition” and then select ‘Yes – Wipe Cache’ to confirm.
• Now select “Advanced” and wipe “Dalvik Cache” and confirm it.
· Now wipe “Battery Stats” as well and confirm it.
· Now select “+++++Go Back+++++” option.
· Select “install zip from sd card” from main Recovery menu and then select “choose zip from sd card”.
· Now select “ICS 184.108.40.206(RC3.1)” file which was saved earlier and confirm it.
· Wait for a few minutes until installation finishes. You can breathe now!
· Now go back and Reboot by selecting the ‘reboot system now’ option from main menu.
Voila! Enjoy the treat of the Ice Cream Sandwich on your Galaxy S !
Please leave your valuable comments for the same.
Blogtechnika is not responsible if your device gets bricked during the process.