Let’s say you are a Windows user and you want to share your screen across other computer which has Mac operating system installed in it. Cross platform screen sharing is not an easy thing until you use an app known as TiffanyScreens. Download it in your computer and other persons computer and start sharing your screen. It’s free and very easy to use app.
You don’t need to do any kind of configuration settings since this app automatically detects all the computers running TiffanyScreens on a network. It’s very useful when you want to present something to a mass and you don’t have projector with you.
This app captures screen of one computer and sends it to multiple computers at a same time. It connects with another computer within network automatically on a local network. There are two modes present, watching mode and presentation mode and users can switch to one mode to other by a click on button.
This app comes with free and paid versions. Free version allows you to share your screen with one person at a time. If you want to share your screen with multiple users then check out the pro version.
This app is best useful where users came along with their laptops in a meeting and they are sitting on a round table facing each other. Now to see the presentation they don’t require to face towards wall to see the projector because the presentation will come on their computer screen with the help of Tiffany Screens.
Check out Tiffany Screens.
How many of you face internet connectivity issues on day to day basis. The reason behind this can be many, but one of the most common problem is your wireless router. Many times it happens that the connectivity of your computer from router breaks and you try to connect it again and again. It’s frustrating, and annoying. Here I am collecting few tips which really help you to solve your Wi-Fi connectivity issues. Check them out:
1) Location of router
Many times it happens that you get a very good connection near your router but when you move away from the router, connectivity reduces because of affective range of router. To get rid of this problem, you can place your router at the center location of your home so that every part of home get equal and strong signal.
2) Use N router
802.11n router is a new kind of router which offers super fast connectivity and increased range. Most common router is 812.11g router.
3) Wi-Fi range extender
Instead of changing the location of router or using N router, you can go for range extender. This device extends range of wireless router and also finds the location for best wireless reception.
4) Avoid Wireless Interference
Microwave frequency range is 1 to 40 Ghz and router frequency range comes in microwave frequency range. Chances of interference and low signal reception are high when you use both the devices at the same time. To get rid of this problem, either place both of these devices at an adequate distance, and avoid using both the devices simultaneously.
5) Use Updated Wi-Fi Device Drivers
Old device drivers cause issues in the functionality of hardware. You might not get the best speed with the old, outdated driver. Go to Start –> Run. Type compmgmt in the run box. Computer Management window will open. On left pane, click on ‘Device Manger’. On right click on Network adapters –> Intel(R) PRO/Wireless XXXXXXX Network Connection. Right click on it and select “Update Driver Software”. It will update the driver if it is not updated.
So these are the tips. You can also make use reflector near router, use antenna for better reception or add internal network card for better reception of signal and faster speed. Do you have any other point to add? Mention it in the comments.
We often use widgets on the desktops of our computer to have an access to easy information right on the hand. We keep a check on the CPU usage, disk space, calendar appointments and various other things using widgets. However, these are usually scattered and there is hardly a set out there which can satisfy all our needs.
But standalone gadgets pack is a wonderful gadget pack that combines various useful gadgets that can find space on your desktop. In a lot of ways these are must haves on your desktop for quick reviewing and information gathering. This set of gadgets brings with it stats, Gmail mail count, battery power, folder shortcuts, Google News updates, date/time display and system resources.
The only drawback of this widget pack is the fact that it is completely ad supportive, having said that, the UI is really well made and the widgets do exactly the job that they are set for. They are pretty light on the CPU and I did not experience any sort of performance lags while using my laptop in real time. The installation is rather simple as all you have to do is launch the file and follow up the simple instructions.
You also have the option of installing just the widgets you require if you feel you do not need the entire pack. The look of the widgets is sober and clean and it pretty much does the job that it sets out to do with minimum fuss.
You can download this pack from: Deviant Art
Remember Minesweeper, Solitaire, and Hearts? These are the traditional games which can be found on any Windows PC. If you have Windows 7 Professional version installed on your computer, then you can’t find those games by default. That feature can be enabled by using the Windows features option. Just follow the steps below to start playing those games.
1. First click on the start button and in the search bar, type “features”.
2. Then click on “Turn Windows features on or off” in the search results.
3. When you click on this option, a window will appear where you can view all the features that are offered by Windows 7.
4. Here, you will find the Games option. Just enable this option and click OK to start playing these games.
5. Or if you want to disable certain games from the Games folder, then just expand the Games folder in the window and enable or disable whichever games you want or don’t want.
5. All you need to do now is click on Start button and type “games” in a search box. Click on the result and enjoy playing traditional games.
While browsing various files in PC, many times it happens that you can’t figure our the exact file extension of file. Example if you see any image file, you can’t tell whether it is in JPG format or in PNG format. In the image given below, you can’t figure out the exact file extension.
To set Windows to display file extension along with file name you have to go to Windows file explorer.
Go to Organize -> Folder and search options.
Go to “View” tab and uncheck the box next to “Hide extension for known file types”.
You can see the file extension next to the image name. Cool and easy. Isn’t it?
Stay tuned for more Windows PC tricks and tips.
On Windows 7, do you see Windows Explorer icon on the taskbar? As you may know, this icon is meant to open the Libraries folder on Windows. But seriously, how often do you use that folder? I don’t. You can now set that icon to open a folder of your choice. This involves a little bit of tweaking so read carefully and follow each step:
1. First, open Windows Explorer and go to the location which you want to set as the default location to be opened from the taskbar icon. Copy this address to a notepad file temporarily.
2. Now, right click on the Windows Explorer icon on your taskbar. Then, right click on the Windows Explorer option under that menu and click on “Properties”.
3. In properties, under the Shortcut panel, you will see a tab called “Target”. Here, you will see a location “%windlr%\explorer.exe”. Next to this text, leave a space and type in /e,(including the comma) followed by the directory that you copied to the notepad.
Then click OK.
You will then be able to open the folder of your choice directly from the Windows Taskbar from now on.
Hope this was helpful for you guys. If there are any queries, you can always leave them in the comments.
As you go on using the internet on your computer, there may be instances when your computer might get attacked by some kind of adware or malware which causes your system to do any unknown activity. There are many apps out there that will protect you from these kind of situations. But once in a while you may notice your internet browsing speed becoming slow. This may be due to the fact that your computer is secretly running processes in the background. If you want to check all the traffic going through various ports of your computer then here’s a way to do that:
1. Click on Start button and in the search box type “cmd”
Right click on the result and click on “Run as administrator”.
2. On the Command Prompt Window, type in the following command in C:
netstat -abf 5 > activity.txt
3. Once this is done hit Enter. Then you can view the details of your internet activity by typing in activity.txt in the Command Prompt.
You will then see a list of all the IP’s and Local Addresses that your computer has been accessing. This will give you an idea of how secure your internet is. But it is always advised to use a good cleaning software like CCleaner or Slim Cleaner which could delete all the cookies and other temporary internet files regularly so that you don’t have to worry about it.
Track Folder Changes is a portable app that monitors changes made to specific folders and displays the results using colors to differentiate between changed and unchanged folders to make it easy for the user to understand and identify them.
Track Folder Changes is a portable app that monitors changes made to folders and shows them to the user. Simply extract the files from the Zip file and run the application. The default folders that the app monitors is folders from the C:\. The app displays results in a tree form the different folders that it is monitoring. The folders to which changes have been made are highlighted in green color. Folders to which changes are being made currently are displayed in Blue. The remaining folders are displayed normally with their original color. You can set the folders that you want to monitor by changing the location from the top of the window. Once you have set a specified folder, the app will start fresh and start monitoring the folder that you have specified on top.
If you want to clear the monitoring data and start a fresh monitoring session, click on the Clear button and the app will start a fresh monitoring process.
It would have been nice if the app could be minimized to the system tray or if you could monitor more than one folder at a time. But, all in all, this is a nice app to have on your computer.
Download Track Folder Changes
There are a number of keyboard shortcuts available for Windows 7. But not all of them are known to everyone as they are not frequently used in a Windows session by users. Here I mentioning some of the lesser known keyboard shortcuts:
1. Ctrl+Shift+Click: Go to a file, press Ctrl+Shift and then double click on the file to open it as Administrator. Some applications may not run by simply opening it. This may be because they require administrative privileges. So now you have a shortcut for that too.
2. Shift+Right Click: Holding Shift and pressing the right click will enhance the send to menu and give you more options to send you files. Normally, the send to menu will contain the basic folders or the most important folders to which you can send your files. But with this shortcut, you can view a number of folders and send files directly to those folders from the send to menu.
3. Shift+Right Click on a Folder: Holding the Shift button and right clicking on a folder will display the command prompt option in the right click menu and you can open the Command Prompt from that folder.
4. Win+Space: Hit the Windows button and the Space button to quickly view the desktop.
5. Win+up/down/right /left arrow: This shortcut will help move the open window towards the left, right, up or down. Pressing the Win+up button will maximize the window.
Hope these shortcuts helped ease your Windows experience.
Consider a scenario where you have a USB drive containing a large amount of files, you are looking for a particular file but cannot find it in the heap of files and folders. You cannot use the built-in Windows search as the files have not been indexed yet. Now instead of waiting for Windows to index your files for searching, what you can do is carry a desktop search utility called Dropout in the USB disk itself that knows everything about your existing files. The best thing is that you can use the search as soon as you plug in the drive.
This is a portable Windows search tool that requires no configuration or installation. Just copy the Dropout.exe file to your USB disk’s root folder and it will enable you to instantly search all the files in the current directory and also inside sub-folders. While running Dropout for the first time, it indexes the files inside a hidden folder in the USB drive itself so you don’t have to index the files again when you plug in the USB drive in another computer. Also the search index updates itself in an incremental manner whenever you run Dropout so your new files are automatically included in the index.
The great thing about this software is that it lets you enter full file names to search as in the built-in windows search. This is a very user friendly software and saves you a lot of time.