WordPress is a an amazing platform for blogging. Apart from writing the post you can experiment from many things in a blog by the use of Plugins. But the main thing which anyone should keep in mind is SEO of the blog because ultimately visitors from search engines which are also known as Organic traffic contribute major portion of the traffic of any blog. It is manipulated that 75 % of traffic from search engines is good for any blog. But you need to take care of some basic things to improve the organic result of your blog. Here are the 10 basic SEO tips which you should use to make your blog search engine friendly:
1) Use keywords in your post title: The most common problem amongst Bloggers. They write a very nice post but they don’t take care of keywords. Content should be keyword rich so that density of keyword in your blog should increase. Should maintain 3 to 7 percent of keyword density for the major 2 or 3 target keywords and 1 to 2 percent of keyword density should be maintained for minor keywords.
2) Improve the permalink structure of URL: Now what it means. Suppose you write post and its URL look like www.example.com/ghfiditjtgn00697003586970. When Google robots crawl on your page they first look the URL of the page. If your page URL is such a mesh, they don’t understand what this post about. Now consider this www.example.com/top-10-SEO-tips-for-bloggers. It is clear from the URL what this post is all about. For changing the URL structures of your article Go to your WordPress Dashboard> Setting > Permalink. And select the custom structure option and write “/%postname%/” in the box given.
3) Submit XML sitemap: XML sitemap is structure of your blog or website. It signifies the hierarchical listing of the pages of your blog. You need to submit your sitemap through Google Webmaster tool. Its biggest benefit is Google will discover your post more easily.
You should use Google XML sitemaps plugin “This plugin will create a Google sitemaps compliant XML-Sitemap of your WordPress blog. It supports all of the WordPress generated pages as well as custom ones. Every time you edit or create a post, your sitemap is updated and all major search engines that support the sitemap protocol, like ASK.com, Google, MSN Search and YAHOO, are notified about the update.”
4) Write quality content: Content of your blog is the most important thing. If you use all the tactics to enhance the performance of your blog but don’t have quality content then don’t expect any magic in your traffic. Google bots are very clever; they rank those websites higher which contains more accurate information. You should always keep these things in mind before write anything: Write easy to read and unique content, avoid Grammar and spelling mistakes.
5) Use Anchor text and link building: Link building is also one of the most important arts of SEO. There are two types of links “external link” and “internal link”. External link is the link attributed to some other site. Internal link is the link given to our own site. It is to be keeping in mind that link should be given to credible sites only because bad link will degrade the performance of your blog.
Your anchor text should be descriptive. Anchor text is a text on a post on which user can click and visit to other page.
You should follow keep certain things in mind before assigning anchor text
- a) You should give descriptive anchor text; it should provide some info about the linked page.
- b) You shouldn’t use generic anchor text like “Click here”,”page”,”article”.
- c) Don’t use page URL directly as an anchor text.
- d) Maintain a proper ratio between external link and internal link.
6) Use robots.txt
A robots.txt file allows search engines to crawl and access the parts of your site. To check robots.txt of any site open: www.yoursitename.com/robots.txt. You should prevent important pages like “admin panel and plugins used” of your site from search bots. Go to Google webmaster Tools>Under tools > Analyze robots.txt to create the file. The basic structure of your robots.txt should be
7) Make quality backlinks: Link from some other website is known as backlink or incoming link. You should care of following thing in mind:
a) Commenting on other blog post did not necessarily make backlinks.
b) You need to comment on do follow blogs which allow comments to do follow.
c) Backlink from related website is more valuable from backlink from unrelated website.
d) Make link exchange only from quality blogs.
8 ) Use All in One SEO plugin, SEO friendly image and simple tag Plugins: These are three must use plugins for bloggers. All in one SEO Pack plugin covers all the aspects of the SEO of your blog including Meta tags, keyword, title tag etc.
The most underestimated part of any blog is image and tags, many bloggers don’t know the importance of these two terms.
You should use SEO friendly image Plugin which automatically updates all images with proper ALT and TITLE attributes.
Simple tag plugin: This is the most important plugin which generate lots of traffic to your blog. It automatically generates Meta keyword from tags and also it automatically generates technorati, flickr and Delicious tags.
9) Use no follow attribute: Always no follow those links which are not valuable for your blogs. For example if you give any affiliate link on your blog page then you should no follow it because search engines hate those links. Also if you provide a link to some other site which you might think is not very valuable then you should no follow it. You can no follow any link by the option given in WordPress or if you use Windows live writer to write a post then in insert link option click on Advance option then click on Rel option. You will find no follow option there.
10) Assign unique, descriptive <title> tag to every page: Title tags are very important for your each post. If you are using non descriptive title to your post then you are actually degrading its performance. Also you need to give keywords in a title because search engine love those title which is keyword rich. Use All in one SEO Pack Plugin to assign title tag to your post. At the bottom of edit post option page of WordPress you will find All in one SEO Pack options, you need to fill proper Title, description and Keywords.