Google releases the distribution numbers monthly, giving everyone an idea of how much is the adoption rate of the latest Android version. This report basically tells you the percentage break of the Android versions that are running on the active Android phones. Google has been notorious for their update program where only the Nexus smartphones get the latest updates instantly while everyone else has to wait for their carrier and telecom service provider to come together. This usually means a slow rollout of updates and this has been no different for Android Marshmallow update.
Google has recently introduced its latest Android OS – 7.0 Nougat which follows the Android 6.0 Marshmallow. It has already been released for Nexus devices and is now rolling out for Android One smartphones and tablets. Soon, the upcoming phones will come built-in with this OS. We have listed out the features of Nougat below:
- Split-screen mode: Nougat has brought split screen functionality for stock Android devices, which was long overdue. This feature can be used in both -landscape and portrait modes and the windows are resizable in the portrait mode.
- Better Battery Life: While Android 6.0 Marshmallow introduced a ‘Doze’ feature which helps you save battery when your device is stationary, it has been improved in Nougat with on the go functionality. It means even when you are moving, and even the phone is not being used, the battery will enter saving mode.
- Redesigned Notifications mode: The notifications are now bundled together, and you have a new quick reply feature, where you can respond immediately without the necessity of opening the app. Also, you can put notification sounds in silent mode, block mode or don’t block or silence.
- Do Not Disturb: This feature has been tweaked and has multiple options for you to choose from, which include total silence, priority only short period or extended periods, alarms only, set rules for weekends, office hours & also block visual notifications.
- Better Quick Settings: Your notifications area will always have five toggles where you can customize your quick settings. You can only keep those shortcuts which you use regularly and access the others through settings.
- More emoji options: This update is for those of you who can’t get enough of those fun faces. Nougat supports, even more, emoji’s and you will be able to change the skin tone of your emoji also.
- Improvements in Security: This OS has introduced a new function, called seamless updates where it will allow your phone to download the software updates in the background and without interrupting your normal usage. The files will also be encrypted better, so there is a lesser chance of any deadly attack.
XDA Developers has uncovered a few strings from the latest release of the Youtube application that points towards some new filters coming in. So far, it is absolutely clear that the application of YouTube really lags behind the desktop experience. There are plenty of things you can do on the desktop that you still cannot do on the app. This is a bit of a surprise especially as people today are more likely to consume content on their smartphone using an application rather than firing up their desktops for a five-minute video.
OnePlus is expected to announce the OnePlus 3 in the coming month. We have already seen that OnePlus has shared in a mailer that they would begin selling their Virtual Reality headsets once again globally so that users can purchase the same and enjoy the full VR launch that promises to take them to virtual space in order to announce their latest flagship device. The OnePlus 2 was announced via a VR launch last time around and received very mixed reactions.
Telegram is possibly the most interesting solution as far as IM on smartphones go, if you do not want to use WhatsApp. Not only does the app have a ton of features, that WhatsApp does not have, they are always looking to add more things to their roster which makes the app really useful. Recently, the app has added the feature where you can edit the sent messages.
Carrier billing has been one of the most requested new features on Android for a while as far as India goes. This method of using your carrier credits for purchasing applications or content on the Google Play is something that is already prevalent in the United States and parts of Europe. Finally, Google has decided to go ahead and enable carrier billing with Idea Cellular, the third largest telecom player in India. Both prepaid and postpaid users will be able to go ahead and buy content from Google Play in addition to paying via credit card or debit card if they wish to.
Motorola’s flagship, the Moto X Force just went under the axe to get a massive price drop. Moto has slashed the price by Rs 15,000 on the 32GB version and by Rs. 16,000 on the 64GB one. This has been a steep drop for the product considering it is just a couple of months old.
Post the takeover by Lenovo, there have been long question marks hanging over Motorola’s future. In fact, it was made clear earlier in the year that the Moto branding altogether will be ditched for the phones in the budget range and only be used for high-end flagship phones which sure shot will also ship with fingerprint scanners. However, it looks like Lenovo has decided to move the boundaries a bit as far as defining high-end phones go.
Huawei had a wonderful ending to the year 2015, thanks to the success of the Huawei Nexus 6P. This thrust the brand into the limelight like never before putting enormous pressure on Huawei to follow up with a good product range. The spotlight currently shines brightest on the Huawei P9, which is expected to be the upcoming flagship device. According to @Evleaks on Twitter, the device will be launched on April 6th, which means the anticipation will last another good month or some.
Samsung announced the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge amidst a lot of interest at MWC in Barcelona last month. The phone largely comes with the same design as the Galaxy S6, though the major differentiating factor is a slightly bigger size, a little more roundish design and a water and dust resistance out of the box. The phone is rated IP68, as a result of which you will be able to use the phone under water for about 30 minutes.